Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Midterm

I was kind of upset during the midterm. I was trying to give my presentation on my artist Turner, and I had written background information before I had written about his paintings and style. So I when I was done reading the first paragraph I started to show some of paintings by Turner, and Mr. Glenn ask me "Well what about the excitement?" And I was confused, I thought The Excitement was a painting or some exhibition or something. So I asked him "What?" And then he said that giving background information was boring and plain and that I needed to discuss what was unique about my artist, and that's when I got upset because I wasn't even a quarter of the way done with my presentation of Turner.

So I continued and read the next paragraph, and then I stopped to show pictures again before I was going to start more discussion on Turner, and then Mr. Glenn started talking about my artist's style, which I was going to do. Maybe not as good as him, but I was going to mention a lot of what he talked about. When he was talking about my artist for me, he said, "And obviously I thought about this more than you did blah blah blah..." So I'm not happy with Mr. Glenn at all. It would have been nice if he had let me finish with my presentation before he threw me under the bus. And what really pissed me off is that he let everyone else talk about their presentation fully, but didn't let me do that.

From the beginning of class, I was so happy to come to this class, it was worth waking up early for and I thought Mr. Glenn was the coolest teacher. I really liked him a lot. I was already telling my friends to take him next fall, but now I really don't know if I'm going to be as eager to go to his classes anymore. I hope the rest of this semester gets better. I really do. :(

3 comments:

  1. I felt bad for you because i could tell you put a lot work into your artist. But look at this way, it was the first "midterm", you had to go first and none of us really knew what to expect until he gave you that advice, I know i learned from it for my presentation. Just think of it as a learning point and bring 250% now instead of 200%. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jasmine!

    But do you see my point? I just don't think you can excite people by putting text on the screen and talking about biography.

    I'd like your presentation to start with a BIG IMAGE of THE ART.

    THIS is a painting by Turner! NOTICE 1 and 2 and 3.

    HERE is ANOTHER painting by Turner! What is so poerful about these paintings, and so unique for it's time is A and B and C...

    Does that make sense?

    I'll try to "zip it" for Midterm 2... but the presentations can't be reading text that was cut and paste from someplace like Wikipedia... you have to put art in front of our eyes and SHOW us what that work was/is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, I see your point. I'll do better next time and give my thoughts about it more.

    ReplyDelete